Monday 3 March 2014

Flexisigmoidoscopy day (mini colonoscopy). Not a fun and happy post.

Today was the day of my colonoscopy. Obviously, it was not a full one as i dont have a colon to look at haha, but it was to look at the extent of the colitis still in my rectum.

I'll start with the good news: my rectum isn't as bad as my Doc thought and "should" be able to be fixed with suppositories for a few months.

The bad.

  • Today was the first time i'd had a colonoscopy after surgery, so with the bags. This meant that a lot of the regulations and rules for having a colonoscopy didn't apply to me. I had to explain this to several different nurses and it became a shade tiresome.
  • As i've had these so many times, i am no longer given sedation. When i was sitting in the recovery room, everyone had a cannula in their arm after being given sedation, but not me. I just lie there, fully conscious, whilst a doctor and his 3 nurses shove a telescope up my arse and discuss the lining of my rectum. The pain, the discomfort, its indescribable. I hate it so much now. I cover my head with the bed sheets and just sing songs to myself to pass the time. 
  • Obviously, my rectum doesn't join up to my bowel now, it comes up to the surface below my belly button (mucus fistula) so that i can put medication down it. So, whilst they were shoving stuff up the other end, all the blood was pouring out this end. I could feel it all down my legs and over my belly. I could hear my fistula passing gas which really hurt.
  • They took biopsies for further investigation, which involves taking pieces of my tissue to look at more closely. That too hurt a lot. 
  • When i was wheeled into recovery, the nurses were originally surprised to see me sitting up normally and not sedated as everyone else was. I then discovered that my shorts bed and everything were covered in my blood. The nurses in the operating room said they'd cleaned me. They lied. My belly has blood, legs, shorts, bed sheets, everything. I sat there waiting to be cleaned for a good 10 minutes from once i got in.
  • Lastly, though it may not seem a big thing to others, each nurse would look at me, look at my file, ask "how old are you michael?" I'd reply "i've just turned 18". Their reply: "noooo you're far too young for this". Do you think i dont know that?! how is reminding me or telling me that im abnormally young for these types of things going to make me feel any better?!
So yeah, it wasn't a great trip up to St. Helier. Oh, and to top it off, my plan of doing the first op, going to uni for first year, having the second op then going to second year uni-so that i would;t be 2 years behind-has completely failed. I asked my doc and he said the two ops have to be around 3 months apart. So thats that.

Overall, cock.



1 comment:

  1. Your method of explaining the whole thing in this post is in fact pleasant, every one be capable of effortlessly be aware of it, Thanks a lot.

    affordable colonoscopy LA

    ReplyDelete