Sunday 2 February 2014

An interesting thought

A fellow IBD blogger of mine just asked me; "what do you wish you were told when first diagnosed with UC?". At first, i wasn't sure how to answer. But then the answer became obvious. I wish that i was told surgery was a real option. Sure, my doctor mentioned the word surgery, but he said its so uncommon that he's sure medication will fix it and i wouldn't need surgery.

Thats the whole reason as to why im writing my book; doctors need to learn to be more up front about the good, the bad AND the ugly! Don't tell us what you think we want to hear. Tell us what we need to know! If i knew surgery was a pretty realistic option, i wouldn't have been so distraught. when i found it that it was happening a week later.

Naturally, the doctor could not predict that medications wouldn't work, i accept that. But don't tell me i won't need surgery. Thats not cool.

1 comment:

  1. There are some really great answers coming in which I can't wait to include in my blog post. Once it is finished it will be a great eye-opener :) Thank's for taking part x

    ReplyDelete