Sunday 15 December 2013

My day at Winter Wonderland

Yesterday I went up to London with my girlfriend and her friends to visit Hyde Park's 'Winter Wonderland'. It was the first time i had travelled a fair distance since my operation so i was a little nervous. It was also the first time i had gotten trains and walked around for a long period of time.

I was excited and optimistic about the trip, until we stepped out of the cab at hyde park corner and saw the hour queue to get in. I didn't know how i was going to be able to stand in a very crowded space for a whole hour. As we got closer to the front, i began to get more and more tired; but i persevered. Eventually we got in and i immediately took a trip to the disabled loo to empty my bag.

We then walked around for a few hours and i watched the girls go on some rides-i didn't risk going on any rides because i wasn't sure if my stoma bag was made for such things. I was fine just watching them have fun, especially Zara.

As night fell, my tiredness did increase. I began to get more and more pain in my operation area and i was struggling to walk; but i persevered. I refused to be defeated and cause the others to worry or leave earlier than they wanted. I know i was a burden on them with my slow walking and prolonged toilet trip, but at the end of the day, there's no way i could have managed that queue with colitis pre-op. An hour with no way out and no toilet?! Impossible!

I made it home alive after being out for 6 hours. I had done it and i felt really proud of myself. Yes, it was very, very tough. But i had proven to myself and everyone else that i could do it.

Go me.

No comments:

Post a Comment