Thursday 5 December 2013

The process of changing the bags

So, tonight was bag changing night. I change my main stoma bag every 48 hours and my mucus fistula one every 12-24 hours. It's quite a long and annoying process, and i thought i'd explain it to those who want to know how it all works!


So, the dirty looking bag is the mucus fistula. The bigger one is the stoma bag. Here is how it all works:


  • i get in the shower and clean myself off
  • dad uses an adhesive spray to remove the mucus fistula bag and i clean around the area
  • we then use the spray to remove the stoma bag and i clean my stoma-that part is hard to look at
  • we then dry me down and walk me to my bedroom with a plastic bag over my stoma in case it becomes active
  • we then cut a hole in the bag to fit around my stoma and use a special sticky washer to stick it to my skin
  • once the stoma bag is secure, dad puts a suppository into my mucus fistula. this is to help heal any inflammation left in my rectum. 
  • after the suppository is in, we secure the bag around my mucus fistula and make sure both bags are stuck on extra tight. for extra support we use a special surgical tape around the edges.
So that is what we do every 2 nights! its a long process but its keeping me alive :)

I apologise if the picture offends anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment